Sunday 25 October 2009

An excursion




Yesterday we decided we wanted to be a bit outdoorsy, and so we jumped on the S-bahn and headed to Spandau. We changed for the U7 and got off at the Zitadelle stop to go walk around the old fortress, Spandauer Zitadelle. It was a really nice way to spend an afternoon, the views were nice and the occasional museum was ok. Entrance was €4,50, but it included all the museums and a climb up to the watch tower. Maybe one could just walk the grounds for free? We didn't ask. The most exciting thing we saw there was the bat cellar, a space where the bats naturally come to sleep. It's divided with glass walls and lit with infrared lights, so you can actually see the bats swarming and feeding. And pooping. A little scary, but cool. But no photos – we assumed they might be offended by the flash light :P




From the Zitadelle we walked to the old town of Spandau, and to the local brewery. The brewery had some good beer, but the menu was a bit too fleshy for us. The town itself was quiet and felt like a different part of Germany altogether, even if Spandau is a part of Berlin. It's less than an hour away from central Berlin, so it makes a good little destination for a long stroll and some fresh air.

2 comments:

  1. Hi!
    Cool blog!
    I went to Germany on vacation a couple years ago and I loved it! I was really only in the Heidelberg area though, and therefore still have a lot of Germany, including Berlin. While I was there I went to a local Turkish kabob place and I loved it! While I did not have the turkey, or meat for that matter, I enjoyed the vegetarian option!I just wish there were Turkish Kabob take-out places in the US.
    What county in Ireland are you from?
    I was just in Ireland, this August, visiting relatives. I absolutely loved it!
    Please visit my blog:
    http://dominiquelovestoread.edublogs.org
    -Dominique

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!

    I really like it here in Berlin, but apparently it's quite different from the rest of Germany - so you should check it out some day if you can. One of my favourite things are the Turkish falafels, maybe that's the veggie option you ate, too? And they are incredibly cheap :)

    I'm actually Finnish, but lived in Dublin for three years before we moved here. Loved it there! But the weather will get on your nerves, that's for sure...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...